Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day Seventeen

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday started off with a long car ride through the mountains to Crater Lake, OR. When we left the hotel, it was cold...a constant theme on the west coast thus far. As we got closer to Crater Lake, we stopped for some groceries at a general store so that we could have a picnic lunch at the lake. I stepped out of the car and it was about 80 degrees. You should have seen my face...I was in heaven. For those of you who don't know me very well...I have become to detest cold weather. It was so nice to be able to wear a sleeveless shirt again. We packed in our groceries and continued to the lake. When we entered the National Park, my warm weather enjoyment turned to puzzlement when we spotted SNOW on the ground!! We got out of the car (yes, it was still warm outside...about 75 degrees) to investigate. Alan commented that I looked like someone who had never seen snow before. I told him that I had never seen snow in 75 degree weather!! We had a pretty steep climb and the snow became more abundant which was accompanied with a lower temperature. We finally reached the top of the mountain, parked the car and unloaded our picnic lunch. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the top of a snow-capped mountain, surrounded by a crystal blue lake...life is good. Most of the park was still shut down due to the snow, but signs of melting were evident. We then set the GPS for Seattle and drove for the rest of the day. When we were driving through Portland, OR, we could see (what we think is) Mount Saint Helen's in the distance...also snow capped. All of the snow made me realize that mountain living is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment